On November 11th, 1954, Wright School opened its doors to its first 517 students. Originally built with thirteen rooms, seven more were added before the building even opened that first day.
Wright was named as the result of an essay contest sponsored by the Cedar Rapids Gazette. A Franklin Junior High student named Paul Atherton submitted the winning essay. He wrote, "Cedar Rapids should be proud to have had the Wright Brothers living in Cedar Rapids at the time they received, from a toy, their inspiration to fly. A building of learning named after these famous men should be an inspiration to any youngster." The naming of the school corresponded with the fiftieth anniversary of the Wright Brothers' first powered airplane flight.
The Wright brothers names were Orville and Wilbur Wright. Their first flight was twelve seconds long. Their longest flight was on December 17, 1903 near Kittyhawk, and it was fifty-nine seconds long . They were inspired to build an airplane by a toy helicopter their dad gave them.